Financial Aid 101
Financial Aid 101 – Have an Organized Process
The financial aid process can be complicated. There are ways to make it simpler for you and your parents. One very important way is to have an organized process.
Here are some tips:
- Read all of the instructions carefully. Never leave required questions blank because that will only delay the process.
- Get the forms from the financial aid office and file them as soon as possible.
- Keep a calendar, know your deadlines, and respond prior to the deadline.
- Keep copies of the forms that you submit. If the form is online, print it and save a copy for your records.
- Read any and all information you receive about your application, awards, and disbursement procedures. If you are asked for additional information, respond quickly.
- Ask for help. If you have questions or concerns about the financial aid process, contact the Financial Aid Office. You can also try making an appointment to meet with a Financial Counselor to discuss your situation further.
- Check with notable sources such as your guidance counselor, financial aid administrator or reputable websites such as www.stufund.com or www.finaid.org.
- If there is an online process, use it. Generally online processes are quicker. Plus, any mistakes can be caught and changed easily.